About the Artist
Vasu has been painting for last six years. She likes to paint representational and/or abstracted subjects from humanity and nature. She uses acrylic, oil or mixed media . She often creates several paintings in a series using a theme. Vasu uses photos from her travels or images that have been altered/ abstracted using different apps. She is a strong advocate for human rights, specially women’s. This passion inspired her to do a solo show depicting roles of women at various stages of life in different capacities.
She also likes to explore newer horizons using color, texture and their relationship by experimenting further using processes of glazing, sanding, adding and subtracting in the background and in the subject itself. More recently, she has started working in the abstract forms of figures as well as in general . Use of bright colors is one of her personal form of expression. She also uses mixed geometric forms to energize her art.
Vasu also enjoys writing poetry and literature. Her original profession of being a Pediatric Gastroenterologist shows through her advocacy for children. She donates paintings to many fundraisers for art, education, autism, abuse, Alzheimers disease and to institutions providing free medical care to the indigent population.
She has won several prizes in juried shows.
- Scarab Club
- Anton Art Center
- Detroit Artist Market
- Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center(BBAC)
- Birmingham Women Painters Society (BWSP)
- Detroit Society of Women Painters and Sculptors (DSWPS)
- Manhattan Arts International
- J Mane Gallery
Professional Profile as Artist
SOLO EXHIBITION: ‘A Woman’s Journey’ from July 12th to Aug 25th, 2017 at the Scarab Club, Detroit.
Art for Healing of spirit and body – 9 paintings selected for Exhibition for Beaumont Hospitals from Jan 18th to April 15th; and additional 7 paintings for Exhibition at Taylor Beaumont Hospital from April 15th till July 2017
SOLO EXHIBITION: September 26th 2015 at Padzieski Art Gallery – Ford Community & Performing Arts Center, Dearborn, MI, for Foundation Of Michigan Association of Physicians of Indian Origin fundraising event.
- Participant with 2 Paintings at BWSP Janice Charach Gallery show May-July 2019
- Featured artist – https://www.jmanegallery.com/featured-artist in April 2019
- Presented 5 paintings in the great Hall at DIA from April 5-7, 2019 for the Celebrate India event.
- Participant – ‘Divergence” received an honorable mention in the 2nd Women’s show at fusion art. https://fusionartps.com/2nd-women-artists-art-exhibition-jan-apr-2019/
- Special recognition award for ‘Peevish Paramour’ in figurative painting in Light space gallery April 2019 https://www.lightspacetime.art/abstracts-art-exhibition-2019-painting-other-media/#gallery/515185eec6055c3bb7ca52e5e4661006/31056
- Participant in Arts at Women by women https://www.artashealingfoundation.org/hear-us-2019.html March 2019
- ‘Frozen Fantasy’ accepted with honorable mention in JMane online gallery https://www.jmanegallery.com/colors-monthly-winners/
- Participant in ’Think Small’ show at Lawrence Street Gallery – Dec 2018.
- Hold those horses, accepted into the top 12 for the show International Andalusian & Lusitano Horse Association 2019 Art Competition
- Participant in the Gold Medal show at Scarab Club in Dec 2018-2015
- Participant in the Livonia Fine Arts show, October 2018,2017
- Participant in the BSWP show at Suburban Showcase Center, Novi , August-Sept, 2018
- Participant in the MOTHERHOOD 2018 show at the Anton Art Center, July-August 2018
- Participant in the BSWP 2018 show at the Detroit Public Library, May 2018
- Participant in the book “Year of Resistance 2017” exhibited in Jan 2018
- Participant in the student show at BBAC 2018- Jan 26th to March 1st,2018
- Participant at Blue show for Dec 2017 at http://www.colorsofhumanityartgallery.com/Blue-2017/Blue-2017/n-pGVZX6/i-mTB749L
- Participant in the holiday show of DAM, Nov-Dec 2017
- Participant in BWPS show in Nov 2017
- Participant at show of DSWPS at Starkwhether Gallery from Sept-Oct, 2017
- First place winner in the 9th Annual Art Competition and Exhibit for Huron Valley Council for the Arts from Sept 5-30th, 2017
- Participant in the Birmingham Community Center- Our Town show from Oct 19-22nd 2017
- Semi-finalist at MI Great Artist Competition 2017, 2016, 2015
- Participant in the ‘Botanicals” at http://www.colorsofhumanityartgallery.com/Botanicals2017/Botanicals-2017-Show/n-SfFxVB for August 2017
- Participant in the ‘Yellow” theme competition for May 2017 http://www.colorsofhumanityartgallery.com/Yelow-2017/Yellow-2017-Show/n-ksgrnP
- Participant in ‘Photography’ show at LSG, April,2017
- Participant in the ‘Human Figure” theme competition at http://www.colorsofhumanityartgallery.com/Human-Nature-2017/Human-Nature-2017-Show/n-Wv6VQZ
- Participant in the ‘Home” show of DSWPS at MOCAD gallery from Feb-May, 2017
- Second place winner in ‘RED’ competition, Feb 2017, http://www.colorsofhumanityartgallery.com/Red-207/Red-2017-Show/n-8ZbfH2
- Participant in ‘Body Eclectic’ show at LSG, Jan,2017
- Participant in the Exhibition of “Think Small” Dec 2016
- Participant in Masquerade exhibition at the Loft Fine Art, Oct 22- Nov 12th, 2016
- Participant in the Exhibition of “Metro Highlights Show” Oct 2016
- Third Prize Winner in the Fall Exhibition of DSWPS at the Loft Fine Art, Oct 5 -19th 2016
- Winner in Fashion Art Challenge of Dick Blick, Sept, 2016
- Participant in show of BWPS at Anton Art Center, Sept 16th -Oct 14th 2016
- Participant in Student Exhibition, Jan 22 -Feb 17th 2016 – BBAC
Pensive – pictured in Scarab Club Annual Book 2017
The pairs of paintings and poems in Light Ekphrastic
She could have danced all night – pictured in Scarab Club Annual Book 2016
Ganesha, Ganesha everywhere – pictured in Scarab Club Annual Book 2015
Interview with Frank Beckmann Show - WJR Radio Detroit
A Poem from a friend – “Ode to an Artist”
On first looking at an Artist’s journey
An ode to Vasundhara and her virtuosity.
A view from an aperture
Agog with elation slipped in a rapture;
Exceeding a flying avian’s scan
My vision fulfilled in a brief span.
I came across a breathing being
Artful her creation, a living legend;
Divine her devotion, a dedication to healing
Of the soul and the soma, all encompassing .
In the bowels of the gut sought her glory;
With colors and shades, can paint a story.
In the tortuous tunnels, eyes the ills,
With gentle strokes brings alive the stills.
With thirsty brushes
Soaked in oil
The drought she quenches.
Over the rest, holds an edge;
To a stricken stratum, offers her knowledge .
Generous is her suffusing shadow
Beguiling as in the arch of a chromatic rainbow.
Soul of science,
Beat of the art;
Bares to the seekers,
Deftly ,with her flair can impart.
It leaves me plunged,
Her proficiency in awe;
A mere glimpse of her work,
This weekend I saw.
That with you,
A rendezvous ;
A desire comes to fore
For this experience, to mirror in an encore.